The NSF GRF Program Solicitation contains the official eligibility guidelines for the upcoming competition. All applicants are expected to read the NSF GRF Program Solicitation and understand the eligibility guidelines.
Applicants are expected to self-certify that they are eligible to receive the Fellowship.
To be eligible, an applicant must meet all of the following eligibility criteria by the application deadline:
- Be a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident
- Intend to enroll or be enrolled full-time in a research-based graduate degree program in an eligible Field of Study in STEM or STEM education
- Have never previously accepted a GRFP Fellowship
- If previously offered a GRFP Fellowship have declined by the deadline
- Have never previously applied to GRFP while enrolled in a graduate degree program
- Have never earned a doctoral or terminal degree in any field
- Have never earned a master's or professional degree in any field, unless (i) returning to graduate study after an interruption of two (2) or more consecutive years immediately preceding the deadline, and; (ii) are not enrolled in a graduate degree program at the application deadline
- Not be a current NSF employee
The GRF Program Solicitation contains the official eligibility criteria for the GRFP competition. All applicants should read the program solicitation carefully before applying.
The following categories are always ineligible for the GRFP:
- Those who do not have US citizenship, US national status or permanent resident status by the application deadline.
- Those who have earned any graduate or professional degree by fall, except 1) applicants who have completed a joint baccalaureate-master's (BS/MS) program and have not completed any further graduate study outside the joint program or 2) applicants who have an interruption of at least two consecutive years prior to the application deadline (may have earned a Master's degree) and have completed no additional graduate study by application deadline
- Those who were previously offered a fellowship from the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program and accepted it.
- Those who declined the offer of the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship and who did not notify NSF by the published deadline for accepting the Fellowship.
- Current NSF employees.