The 2021 Application Submission Period has closed.
Individuals that have a started application can continue to access their applications here
The National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students who are pursuing research-based master’s and doctoral degrees in fields within NSF’s mission. The GRFP provides up to three years of support for the graduate education of individuals who have demonstrated their potential for significant achievements in science and engineering research. The GRFP supports over 100 subfields. For the 2020 competition, NSF received over 13,000 applications and made approximately 2,000 fellowships offers.
The GRFP encourages applications from underrepresented groups, including women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans, in order to broaden and diversify those participating in science and engineering.
- Five year fellowship period with three years of financial support
- Annual stipend of $34,000
- Cost-of-education allowance of $12,000 to the institution
- No post-graduate study service requirement
- Access to supplemental funding to sustain research while on medical deferral (e.g. family leave)